We’re excited to announce the 2016 Phantom Playbook and App Contest! Help to protect your organization by making the Phantom Community Edition platform even more powerful!
This contest is sponsored by Phantom to promote the community development of Playbooks and Apps with $10,000 in cash prizes & more. (REGISTER HERE)
“We’re putting our money where our mouth is to help build the community, give people a chance to showcase their skills and advance their efforts in protecting their organization all at once.” — Oliver Friedrichs, Phantom Founder & CEO
For decades, enterprises have been buying discrete security point products that do not interoperate. Security teams swivel between dozens of different consoles in order to react to events and defend themselves. While other industries have leveraged automation and orchestration, we have yet to see the security industry benefit.
Phantom is a Security Automation & Orchestration platform that integrates with existing security technologies in order to provide a layer of “connective tissue” between them. Phantom doesn’t replace existing security products, but instead uses Playbooks and Apps to make them smarter, faster and stronger.
The Phantom Community Edition is a free download that offers organizations 100 actions per day to automate and orchestrate their security operations. Phantom is extensible, with Python based Apps, allowing anyone to expand the platform and contribute Apps to the Phantom App store. Similarly, Phantom Playbooks are also written in Python and can be customized at will. Community Playbooks are synchronized via Git and published on a public GitHub repository.
Submissions should include a Playbook and required Apps that can be executed by the Phantom Community Edition product. In short we are looking for the most impressive Playbook and App combinations; those exhibiting the most sophisticated and impressive use of the Phantom platform. Submissions will be judged based on:
- Feasibility, scalability, performance, and ease of use.
- Technical maturity and viability of proposed approach.
- Proposers’ expertise and ability to feasibly create a successful outcome.
- Both individual & team entries are accepted. Winning team will share prize with a maximum of 1 prize per individual or team. Multiple entries are allowed.
The contest kicks off on January 20th and runs through May 27, 2016. Contestants can join the Phantom Community to request support and attend our semi-monthly webinar series.
- Register as a contestant and follow the instructions you receive in the welcome email.
- Join the community mailing list by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. When you receive a response, reply to that response to complete your subscription.
- Attend an upcoming webinar and watch video tutorials in Phantom Portal (requires a Phantom Community Edition login).
- Follow-us @TryPhantom and visit our blog during during the contest period for hints, contest updates and more.
- Submit your Playbook and Apps by email to email@example.com by midnight EDT on May 27.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions! We are here to help and are happy to guide you through the process of learning the Phantom platform.
Winners will be announced at the sole discretion of the judges based on the criteria outlined.
- 1st Place: $5,000
- 2nd Place: $3,500
- 3rd Place: $1,500
Entries will be judged by leaders in security from the media and practice. We will announce them during the contest.
All judging, eligibility, and award decisions are final, not subject to review and at the sole discretion of the judges and Phantom. Contestants acknowledge that Phantom reserves the right to (i) fund or award all, some, or none of the responses received, and (ii) determine all award amounts. The award determination will be made by Phantom with the guidance and recommendations of the judges convened for this purpose, to ensure relevant expertise and diversity of perspectives.
Official Contest Press Release (8am EDT, Jan 20)