Today’s post continues an ongoing series on Playbooks; which Phantom uses to automate and orchestrate your security operations plan.
Playbooks are Python scripts that Phantom interprets in order to execute your mission when you see something that you want to take action on. Playbooks hook into the Phantom platform and all of its capabilities in order to execute actions, ensuring a repeatable and auditable process around your security operations. Sample community Playbooks can be customized at will and are synchronized via Git and published on our public Community GitHub repository. You can read more about Phantom and Playbooks here.
The spotlight Playbook for today was showcased at the Innovation Sandbox competition at RSAC. (If you haven’t already heard the news, Phantom won the competition this year!)
(Note: Products in diagram are for illustrative purposes. Phantom supports these & others.)
In this scenario, malware infects a host before the Command & Control traffic is seen by Sourcefire’s Network IPS. The event is logged to Splunk where it is correlated with other access logs or web logs to provide a high-fidelity malware detection event. Splunk forwards the event to Phantom for orchestration where the following actions are taken automatically:
- List the VM’s in the VMWare environment by querying the vSphere server.
- Find the IP address in the list of VM’s, then snapshot the VM and download it.
- Run the snapshot through Volatility to find the malware process in memory and extract it.
- With the file identified, get the hash and check the file reputation in ReversingLabs.
- Assuming ReversingLabs doesn’t return enough data to convict, detonate the file in Cuckoo to identify additional indicators.
- If Cuckoo returns enough data to convict the file, terminate the process on patient zero using Carbon Black, and block the file across the environment using a Windows File policy.
- Finally, alert the SecOps team, the Help Desk, and the system owner that Phantom automatically took these countermeasures.
The savings are substantial for an organization that sees even an average volume of events. You can read more about the ROI of Automation & Orchestration here.
The use cases that can be addressed with Phantom Playbooks are nearly limitless. Be sure to check the blog regularly for posts on other great Playbooks. Interested in a Playbook we haven’t already covered? Submit your request for future coverage.
Phantom automates and orchestrates key stages of security operations from prevention to triage and resolution; delivering dramatic increases in productivity and effectiveness. Ranging from simple automation to fully autonomous response, Phantom lets you choose the best balance that fits your organization’s needs while increasing security and accelerating security operations. Focused on closing the security gap by enabling enterprise security operations to be smarter, faster and stronger; Phantom provides the flexibility to connect in-house and third-party systems into one consolidated, integrated and extensible platform. Phantom was founded by enterprise security veterans Oliver Friedrichs and Sourabh Satish who have helped propel companies like Symantec, Sourcefire, Cisco and others to success. For more information visit: www.phantom.us.